Sunday, January 21, 2018

Yabby Lake Block 1 Pinot Noir

Those of you who read my blog regularly, may remember that I am a bit skeptical of Mornington Peninsula Pinot Noir, as I find those wines often fruity and not very charming. And you may also know I am even more skeptical of Jimmy Watson Trophy winners. Nevertheless, when the 2012 Yabby Lake Block 1 Pinot Noir won the Jimmy Watson Trophy as the first Pinot Noir, I decided to put a couple of bottles in my cellar. 

It was now time to taste one. Yabby Lake makes a number of single vineyard Pinot Noirs, but it can be quite confusing. Those with good eyesight might be able to decipher the back label. It shows the different blocks of the vineyard. In the upper left is block 1, and this particular wine comes from the light shaded area, which is block 1.4. 3836 bottles were made from there. 

The colour of the wine is still purple and very clear. The wine is of medium weight. I taste black cherry and forest berries, as well as some licorice on the palate. The wine is very polished and long, with some smart acidity going along with the fruit. The mouthfeel is on the bigger side for Pinot Noir, but on the smaller side for Mornington Peninsula Pinot Noir. The tannins are quite silky and the finish expands in the mouth, something rarely found in Australia. This is in fact a brilliant wine.

Tom Carson, the winemaker, recommends cellaring for 8-12 years, and I have no doubt this wine will go that distance.

Score: 96/+++ 

No comments: